Rutgers Federal Relations Internship
About the Internship
The Office of Federal Relations offers a nine-week, paid internship opportunity to 1-2 undergraduate students each summer. It is a 40-hour per week commitment with a $5,000 stipend, and is located in Washington, DC.
Interning with Rutgers Federal Relations
A Federal Relations Intern engages in a wide variety of policy-related activities. This includes conducting research and analysis, tracking federal legislation, attending congressional and agency hearings, drafting congressional correspondence and briefing papers, and attending meetings for associations of which Rutgers is a member.
The internship offers unique hands-on experience in the world of politics and government relations in the heart of Washington, DC. While some general office administrative work is required, there is flexibility to tailor the responsibilities to the student's interests. The general government relations functions to be performed include:
- Attending and reporting on congressional hearings and meetings summaries;
- Accompanying staff to meetings on Capitol Hill and with the higher education community;
- Assisting with logistics for the Rutgers Advocacy Corps program, such as developing and presenting course materials, planning professional development sessions, and scheduling and attending congressional meetings;
- Sharing in the general work of the office, including administrative duties, tracking legislation, and responding to congressional requests for information;
- Drafting correspondence to Congress, briefing papers and other written materials;
- Conducting research in and analysis of higher education policy issues as well as other various topics of importance to Rutgers; and
- Coordinating several social events for current Rutgers students and alumni in Washington, DC.
The Office of Federal Relations internship is offered to one to two undergraduate students each summer. It is a nine-week, 40-hour per week commitment with a $5,000 stipend. It will take place from June 4, 2023, to August 4, 2023, and is located in Washington, DC.
Applications for the Summer 2023 internship are due by 11:59 PM on Friday, March 3. Please send the below form along with your most recent résumé and your cover letter in PDF format in one email to Samantha Booth (email@example.com).